The door to success is locked

Ava Meltzer, Student Life Editor

Every student knows that having to go to the bathroom during class is distracting. One would think this uncomfortable feeling can be easily prevented; walk to your nearest bathroom and then return back to class in under five minutes. However, the situation is much more complicated at Pikesville High School because the majority of the bathrooms are now locked, making students unable to use the restroom.

Using the bathroom is a basic bodily function; every person has to do it. Just like eating, drinking, and even breathing, it is a necessity to keep the human body healthy. So why is it acceptable to deny students access to the bathroom, claiming they can “hold it in,” but absolutely ridiculous to tell someone to hold in their breath? This issue has major consequences, ranging from students being unable to concentrate in class to painful discomfort, but each results in a negative school experience. The restrooms are locked to ensure the school day runs smoothly, and it is understandable that the administration wants to avoid any disruptions. However, attempting to control the student population’s bodily functions is not the answer.

studneteducationland.wordpress.com

It is not only frustrating for students to be deprived of their right to use the bathroom, but it is also extremely unhealthy. When students cannot use the restroom many health risks occur, such as intestinal problems and urinary tract infections. This is why public policy favors allowing employees access to the restroom. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration set the sanitation standard to ensure that employees are provided with “sanitary and available toilet facilities, so that employees will not suffer the adverse health effects that can result if toilets are not available when employees need them.” So if adults are guaranteed the right to use the bathroom when needed, then students also deserve this right.

Students deserve to use the restroom whenever necessary. If the law recognizes the necessity of employees using the restroom, schools must as well. It is inexcusable to reject bathroom usage; students should not have to sit in pain, unable to complete their classwork. Using the bathroom is vital for a successful school day and one’s health. In order to guarantee the well-being of all Pikesville High School students, the school bathrooms must always be unlocked.