Tattoos: the Ink is Spreading

Guiliana Datnoff

Whether they act as an artistic expression of one’s beliefs, a permanent reminder of a special memory, or just simply a beautiful design to look at, tattoos are an ancient craft that are now growing in popularity. Just a few years ago, tattoos were considered a taboo to be concealed and avoided. Today, they are increasingly socially acceptable. What was once an inferior practice only for motorcycle gang members and sailors is now a cool accessory for people of all ages, genders, and occupations.

Despite currently skyrocketing in popularity, tattoos have existed for centuries. A traditional practice of many indigenous peoples, tattoos were looked upon as a beautiful art form used in rituals and for beautifying one’s appearance. In fact, remains of a primitive human discovered in 1991 by German hikers on the Oztal Alps was found to have not only ancient tools but 57 tattoos, covering his body from his upper neck down to his ankles. Using carbon dating, the prehistoric human was proven to have been mummified more than 5,300 years ago, verifying the unbelievably long existence of these presently popular adornments.

Before this boom in acceptance, tattoos were considered by many to be a display of toughness and disrespect, making them improper for the professional work environment. Older generations are still not tolerant of visible tattoos in the workplace, but as younger generations are gaining higher positions, work standards are losing limitations on the visibility of tattoos. 45 million Americans and counting have at least one tattoo, so hiding millions of tattoos is becoming more and more difficult and irrational. With the increasing social acceptance that has occurred in the last decade from gay rights to more female leadership positions, the acceptance of insignificant ink designs on one’s skin should only continue to grow.

Photo courtesy of askideas.com

Photo courtesy of askideas.com

Today, one cannot walk along the beach without spotting a tattoo. Entire television shows and social media pages are being dedicated to them, and there are 21,000 tattoo parlors in the US alone, in which Americans spend 1.65 billion annually. 36% of adults between the ages of 18 and 25 have at least one tattoo, and the amount increases to 40% for adults between the ages of 26 and 40. These numbers are growing every year, making their overall social acceptance inevitable, especially among younger generations who are being exposed early on to tattoos on their parents or teachers.

What does the future hold for tattoos? Technology is in the process of development to make tattoos last only one year, removing the threat of permanency that cause many customers to reconsider their choice to get one. The system, called Ephemeral, works by capturing the ink particles inside of a spherical structure. When this structure is taken out with a removal solution, the particles become small enough for the immune system to eliminate them, getting rid of the tattoo. This technology is still being tested, but it is expected to be available in nine months for 50 to 100 dollars, which is the cost of an average tattoo. The future of this technology will only add to their popularity.

Ironically, tattoos have existed since the beginning of humanity. Today, millions of years later, they are rapidly growing in popularity, social acceptance, and technology. Due to this, the ink will only continue to spread in the future.