Pep Rally Fever

Samantha Datnoff, News Editor

September 30, 2016 marked the first Pep Rally of the 2016-2017 school year, and it truly was a success. Students all over the building were eager for the upcoming event, adorned with their class colors, face paint, and school spirit. The moment students walked into the gym, they heard the upbeat music blare and screams bouncing off the walls, making for one of their best high school experiences.

The first event that kicked off the pep rally was the impeccable performance by the Pikesville cheerleaders. The group performed a stunning routine that was nothing less than perfect. Students stared in awe, mesmerized by the cartwheels, flips, and dismounts executed by our cheerleaders. The routine stimulated the crowd’s Panther Pride, setting the pep rally off to a great start. Following the cheerleaders were the Pikesville High step team with two unique and spectacular routines. The girls performed with robust energy and authority, capturing the attention of every person in the room. The choreography, rhythmic beat, and punctual movements were brought together in unity to invigorate the crowd.

pep

photo courtesy of Jamela Vidal

Following the performances from the step team and cheerleaders were student competitions such as relay racing, shooting, and an all-time favorite: tug of war. The relay races were completed by student captains of the various sports teams, which involved working together to overcome a series of difficult tasks such as wheelbarrowing across the gym, using a spoon in one`s mouth to transport a ping-pong ball while blindfolded, and crab walking alongside a partner who traveled on a scooter. The winner of the relay race was the boys’ soccer team led by captains Alex Mikler and Carter Kopel, both from the class of 2018. Following the amusing relay race was the contest that consisted of students racing up to a miniature basketball hoop and making a shot, which the class of 2017 won by picking up a senior and carrying him to the basket. Another shooting activity that ensued was a competition where a student held a basket over their head while another shot ping-pong balls into the basket. The winner of the competition was the juniors, led by Sedric White and Daniel Zafman.

Tug of war is one of the most popular and anticipated activities that electrifies the crowd and encourages teamwork. The first round pitted the seniors against the freshmen; allowing the seniors to easily win. Next, the juniors rivaled against the sophomores in a painstaking fight, but the juniors established their dominance and strength, taking the win against the sophomores. Finally, the juniors were challenged by the seniors in a grueling match. The war was extremely close, but in the end, the juniors pulled out the win and claimed the title and spirit stick for the class of 2018. Hopefully, the seniors can redeem themselves in the next pep rally to successfully close their final year at PHS.