No-No Lemon

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3797836-lululemon-can-outperform-market-2016

Aida Porter-Hyatt, Teacher’s Corner Editor

Lululemon Athletica Inc is a Canadian athletic apparel retailer which started in 1998. They are known for their modernly designed athletic clothing. If you walk into any yoga class, chances are,you will see the Lululemon logo on at least 50 percent of the class’ participants.  People are willing to pay over a hundred dollars for a pair of plain, black leggings from Lululemon that they could purchase at the local Target for twenty five. Many of the company’s competitors and consumers cannot help but wonder how the overpriced brand has become so successful.

To me, Lululemon, is a paradox. The whole mantra surrounding yoga is to let go of the material world and come in touch with your inner Zen. Therefore, it is ironic that many find that they can only do this successfully while wearing a hundred dollar Lululemon leggings. Although they are considered to be high quality, it is surprising that a company of this expense has gone so viral for people throughout varying social classes.

One of the most prominent issues with this company is the lack of availability of sizes. The sizes are in no way representative of the population of women in America. The New York Times stated that the average dress size of a women today is a size 16. This means that someone who is not undersize, but average size, has no opportunity to fit into their tiny clothing line.

In fact, if you go into the store, most of the clothing items are perfectly folded and labeled. However the larger sizes are often much harder to find. This is a huge problem. This popular company is sending an obvious message about how important it is to be thin. Girls are attracted to the brand because they see the “popular kids” wearing it. But, if they are of average size, they will have a very hard time finding something which is right for them. The necessity of being thin is highlighted through this company’s lack of sizes.

Lululemon has been discrete in trying to hide their body shaming tactics. . In a 2010 post entitled“Love Your Body, was written by a Lululemon blogger, attempted to make readers feel confident about their bodies. Accompanying her words were many pictures of size two Lululemon ambassadors. She wrote, “There’s no size restriction on beauty and confidence.”  Readers quickly recognized the disparity between the blogger’s words and the store’s reality. “So what you’re saying is ‘Love your body… but not unless you’re skinny enough to fit into our clothes,” replied one reader. “How hypocritical. Your stores do not follow the philosophy you claim to follow…” replied another.

If people feel comfortable spending the money to get Lululemon clothing, that is good for them. But for those who do not see the reason behind its expensive prices and exclusionary sizes, do not feel that you are alone. If the company is going to charge these absurd prices for clothing which has been created for you to sweat in, one would think they could supply clothing for those over a size twelve.