The First Creative Coffeehouse

photo courtesy of Guiliana Datnoff

photo courtesy of Guiliana Datnoff

Guiliana Datnoff, Editor-in-Chief

On November 30, 2016 from 6 to 7:30 pm, Pikesville High School hosted its first Coffeehouse Night, a new opportunity for students, parents, and staff to see and experience the creativity and talent within the arts programs at our school. Taking place in the cafeteria and surrounding hallways, the Coffeehouse Night featured contributions from all branches of the visual and performing arts- from visual art and Inter Media Production to music and theater. What truly makes the event special, however, is the audience’s ability to interact with the artists and their work.

“The Coffeehouse Night is Pikesville’s first interactive visual and performing arts night, meaning we are open to the public so that anyone can try out some of the things we do, regardless of their talent,” explains Mrs. Hall.

From the visual arts department, the Art Club designed a community mandala, and National Arts Honor Society constructed an interactive “Finding our Roots” map that allowed the audience to mark where they are from in order to visually share their backgrounds. NAHS also created a family tree where the community was encouraged to craft leaves that represent their families.

President of NAHS, Laureen Li (’17) says, “It’s a creative way for us to let the audience interact with what we’ve created using our artistic abilities.”

In addition, the Inter Media Production program held a photo booth with props and three different backgrounds for visitors to take photographs in front of. Alongside the photo booth, people got a chance to play computer games designed by IMP students or view a few improv scenes and monologues performed by the theater program.

“The audience gave us characters or plots and we did improv scenes,” shares Sara Buchdahl (’18), proud of the unplanned acts.

“The music department contributed guitar and choir performances and an interactive petting zoo of a variety of instruments,” adds Mrs. Hall.

Besides these fun activities, guests should come to Pikesville’s Coffeehouse Nights to support students whose talents are not regularly showcased in weekly sports games or musical concerts. They are an opportunity to experience the unique artistic culture of our school that unfortunately is limited in its exposure to students. The audience can actively take part in the arts our school offers instead of just viewing the school plays from their seats or simply staring at the paintings in the hallways.

“It is a chance not just to enjoy the art but also to take part in it,” says Mr. Wilson, “People can take from [Coffeehouse Night] an appreciation for the arts that are offered in our school and an appreciation for the artists that are involved in them.”

Hopefully just the first of multiple showcases throughout the school year, this Coffeehouse Night was a successful exhibition of the school’s artistic talents and the contribution of their works to the community. Students, parents, and staff should not miss out on the next Coffeehouse Night as all of the visual and performing arts come together again in one fascinating event.