Student Aide Transforms into AVID Tutorial

Photo Courtesy of Lindsey Schindler

Photo Courtesy of Lindsey Schindler

Lindsey Schindler, Grab Bag Editor

Senior year is the time in a student’s life to apply to colleges, experience senioritis, decide their plans for after graduation, and have the ability to choose a modified school schedule. One of these modifications available to seniors is an AVID tutorial, formerly known as a “student aide.” AVID tutorial is a new responsibility that students can participate in, starting this upcoming 2017-2018 school year.

Pikesville High School is an active participant in the AVID program, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination and is an effective way of teaching students the strategies that assist them in being successful with their school work and wisely plan for college. With AVID strategies becoming more popular within the courses offered at PHS, the former teacher’s helper, also known as a “student aide”, has transformed into an AVID tutor to execute the AVID strategies in everyday lessons.

The AVID tutorial position will be offered in the 2017-2018 school year as a class and credit for seniors. Those who become AVID tutorials will receive a grade just like any other class, but the grade that they receive is based on their cooperation with the group of students that they work with in addition to their collaboration with the teacher of the class. Students are encouraged not only to pick a teacher based on their liking of the teacher but also their mastery of the content in that class in order to effectively help students.

“As an AVID tutor, they get trained in WICOR strategies, which are writing, inquiry, cooperation, organization, and reading, so that the content area teachers that they serve can use them as instructional aides in the classroom,” says Ms. Labrisiosa, AVID team leader.

These AVID tutors will be able to work with small groups of students during non-instructional time to assist them with any confusion that they have while implementing the AVID strategies. They will each work with a teacher for one select class, thus always working with the same group of students to get to know them better and strongly learn the routines of the classroom.

In order to be trained in these strategies and become prepared to be an AVID tutorial, all seniors who are interested in doing so will be required to attend a half- day seminar during a selected school day in the fall. During this seminar, seniors will learn the strategies and procedures that are necessary for becoming a successful tutor.

In sum, becoming an AVID tutorial is the perfect opportunity for a senior who has a free period to help a teacher within the classroom and deliver instruction using AVID strategies.