SADD sees new leadership

Naomi Hoch, Online Editor-in-Chief

SADD, Students Against Destructive Decisions, is a club that seeks to promote a safe environment for the students of Pikesville High School and overall reduce the amount of harmful decisions made by teens within the school. This club has been experiencing changes as it sees new leaders arise. This includes two new presidents, Gillian Greenberg (’17) and Kendall Stewart (’17).

“Last year was my first year involved in the club,” said Greenberg. “I went to every meeting and just had a lot of fun. This year will be my second year and I’ll be president.”

Both Gillian’s and Kendall’s enthusiasm for the club led them to pursue new ways to become involved in the SADD community. When there was a threat of SADD closing this year, they asked Mr. Lantos to become the new club advisor in order to keep SADD running.

“I feel that since Gillian and I have active roles not only in our community, but also in the club, it really makes us strong leaders,” said Stewart. “It kind of allows us to work with others, including other clubs, teachers and students to help unify and present our message of SADD.”

As co-presidents, Greenberg and Stewart feel they are ready to make SADD even more active in the community. Their new roles allow them to introduce new elements to SADD that did not exist before.

(Courtesy of sadd.org)

“We are trying to implement systems where we get everyone involved,” said Stewart. “I feel like with clubs last year, there wasn’t a lot of knowledge about things that were happening. We are trying to gain enrollment from within and gain members from other clubs.”

Though involvement is an important aspect of SADD, Greenberg claims that she also wishes to focus on adjusting the club to coincide with new changes to the school itself.

“There’s a lot of free space so we want to utilize the school to make it more colorful and make more posters and really take advantage of that,” said Greenberg. “It’s a bigger school now so we can really spread out and use all that free space.”

To fulfill their commitment to SADD, both Greenberg and Stewart maintain that spreading awareness of the club is of the utmost importance in meeting their desire for widespread participation.

“Gillian and I talked about it a lot and we have a lot of goals. We want to talk more about things that we can improve in society and not just in school. We want to make sure that people know that we are here for them and we could most likely understand and help them and so can other members of the club,” said Stewart. “We are creating a new position for members, a member at large, to help us work with students and spread knowledge about our campaigns against texting and driving and bullying.”

When asked what they looked forward to the most, both Greenberg and Stewart passionately spoke of the mock car crash that they plan on organizing. SADD uses this time as a highlight of their campaign against texting and driving.

“I am most looking forward to a mock car crash that we are trying to do around prom season time,” said Greenberg. “The crash is going to be a lot of fun. Everyone join SADD, it’s going to be a fun year.”