PHS plans to host a winter formal

Ava Meltzer, Student Life Editor

School spirit is the building block for a positive learning environment, so with the success of homecoming in the 2014-15 school year, SGA was eager to find new ways to increase Panther pride. Last year, right before school was let out, SGA held a meeting centered on this current school year. Members discussed ways to make the 2015-16 school year exceptional, with more school-sponsored events and spirit. Jamie Van Wyk, president of the class of 2017, said that “SGA decided that a winter formal would be something all students would enjoy and would increase Pikesville spirit.” Agreeing with Van Wyk, Ms. Thomas, co-head of spirit committee, added that “the extra dance should promote Pikesville spirit by having a fun and safe event.”

To achieve maximum enthusiasm among students, “the dance will coincide with a second spirit week with another pep rally,” said Ms. Thomas. She also added that “the basketball team will get involved with pep rally,” so it is certain to be entertaining. Another great aspect of the winter formal is that student input will be considered when devising the dance. Similar to homecoming, students will vote for king and queen nominations. Students will also be able to decide on the theme. Van Wyk said that “possible themes include winter wonderland, under the sea, and a tropical theme, but the members of SGA and spirit committee are still brainstorming.”

It is not only the members of SGA and spirit committee who are eager about the dance, but students as well. Julia Levine (’16) thinks “it will promote school pride and help create a positive relationship between students.” Agreeing with Julia, Cameron Hebditch (’19) feels that “the dance will be a great way to socialize with classmates and have a lot of fun.”

The winter formal will be held February 27th from 7-10 pm. Dances are a guaranteed way to increase school spirit, and there are high hopes that this winter formal will allow students to enjoy their time at Pikesville High.  Students are encouraged to participate in the planning process to ensure that the dance is successful. See you there Panthers!