New year, new contract: Superintendent possibilities

Dallas Dance poses for a portrait at the Young Women's College Preparatory Academy on Wednesday April 4, 2012 in Houston, TX.  Mr. Dance has been selected as the new head of the Baltimore County School system, which is one of the largest in the state of Maryland.

Baltimore Sun

Dallas Dance poses for a portrait at the Young Women's College Preparatory Academy on Wednesday April 4, 2012 in Houston, TX. Mr. Dance has been selected as the new head of the Baltimore County School system, which is one of the largest in the state of Maryland.

Morgan Anthony, Online-Editor-in-Chief

Along with the presidential debate, the Baltimore County Public School system also has a political decision to make. As of right now, Dr. S. Dallas Dance’s contract is expected to expire June of 2016, which leaves the Superintendent role, one of the most significant jobs within the school system, vacant. The decision of whether or not to offer Dance another four year contract is dependent upon the personas of the Board of Education, which includes Charles McDaniels Jr., Edward J. Gilliss, and many more. The Board has 12 members total and each member gets the chance to vote in favor or against Dance. The decision is set to be made February 1st 2016, but according to Dance, he wants the Board to make a decision before the end of December.
The Baltimore County Public School system is one of the largest and most diverse school systems in the country with over 110,000 students, 19,000 employees, and 173 schools. Current Superintendent, S. Dallas Dance, is responsible for all the instruction and oversight that happens within the Baltimore County school district. Since the start of his term in 2012, Baltimore County Public Schools has united with the well-known Team BCPS, which has brought together the community, staff, and students. Once Team BCPS was formed, the group collaborated with Dance to develop Blueprint 2.0, which is a five year strategic plan that focuses on the improvement of academics, safety, communication, and organization. The new programs that Dance has introduced into Team BCPS are still developing and will take several years to become fully intact. With his contract quickly expiring, the possibility of someone else filling in for Dance may interfere with the teaching and learning adjustments. After talking with high school students, many have yet to see an actual change.
“He really has not made any visible changes during my high school career,” said Zuri Cavell-Allette (`16).”Although I have heard that he has done too much and hasn’t made any positive change.”
According to BCPS, by the 2015-2016 school year the second language acquisition, which offers a Spanish language instruction program, will be implemented into elementary schools countywide. With a variety of new programs being introduced into the county, not renewing Dance’s contract may cause a mix up within Team BCPS.
“If he leaves and his contract does not get renewed, the county will be left in an awkward position,” said Mr. Taylor. “It’s sort of like one of those situations where it would be a bad idea not to reelect him.”
The decision whether to keep Dance or not is supposed to be released by the end of this month, according to the Baltimore Sun. Dance stated that he would like to know the decision before February 1st, the contract signing day, so he can make other arrangements if the job is not being offered to him for another four years. Reports say Dance will not have a tough time finding another position if the Board does not decide to renew his contract since he is already experienced with school systems and has been nationally recognized by Barack Obama. Currently, other counties have also offered him a position with their school system.
“I don’t think Dr. Dance is going to continue to be our Superintendent. I think he is going to move onto bigger and better things in the government involving technology,” said Lauren Losin (`18).