Boys’ lacrosse season outlook

Brendan Varhaftik, Sports Editor

As the winter sports season ends and the weather begins to warm, lacrosse players at Pikesville High prepare for their next successful season. After coming up short against their rival Owings Mills High School in the second round of playoffs, the team looks to improve upon the strides they made last year. The team hopes to advance even further, eventually ending up with a run at states.

One of the adversities the team faces this year is typical of most high school teams; replacing and filling the void of seniors who graduated. The boys’ lacrosse team lost six seniors last year, including their starting and only goalie, Joe Freed, along with starting defensemen and captain, Nathan Block.

“I do not think it is too bad. Yeah, we lost some seniors, but as younger players get older and mature, we begin forgetting what we’re missing,” said Jake Given (’17).

After talking to a number of past players, all seem focused on what lies ahead and less on dwelling in the past. As a four year varsity starter and two year captain, Logan Flaks (’16) has been one of the team’s top defensemen and a starter every game of his high school career.

“I want to first and foremost make everyone on the team a better player. Additionally, I would like to win a regional championship,” said Logan. “I feel I have to make sure everyone is focused and not goofing off during practice. Practice is where we get better and it is important everyone is on the same page. Also, I want to make sure everyone is mentally and physically prepared for games.”

boys lacrosseusatodayhss.com

Another new change this season is the addition of two new coaches, Tim and Greg Bardzik. The brothers bring their offensive minded style to a defensive styled system under head coach Jack Rose. Both brothers went to nearby Dulaney High School and continued to play the sport after high school at Goucher College.

“We do not know them too well yet, but after a disappointing past couple of seasons, I think it is good for our team to get some fresh ideas in here,” said Ian Raich (’17). “All we want to do is succeed and it has not been happening as much as we would like recently, so all of us are just ready for something new.”

Player leadership is always important on a team, especially when changes are occurring within the coaching staff. Captains are expected to step up and lead when the coaching is wavering. Logan Flaks, a seasoned player and captain, discussed his experience as a leader.

“This is my 4th varsity season on the team and I have been playing my entire life. I have also been captain of basketball and badminton, so I would say I am used to being relied on as a leader,” said Logan.

The loss of seniors, changes in coaching, and lack of leadership will not deter the boys’ lacrosse team from achieving their goals this season. Many players need to step up and fill voids left by graduated seniors. Tryouts begin on the 29th of February, but players dedicated know the season began at the end of last season.