Twinning and winning

Jordan Plotkin

Two well-known twins and Pikesville’s rising seniors, the Farasats, are very talented young men who both share a passion for baseball. Shayan and Shouran Farasat are athletic, smart, and talented. This upcoming summer, they are both hoping to get recruited to play baseball in college. They both would like to play division one at Cornell University, Shouran would like to go to Johns Hopkins, and Shayan would like to play at Stevenson. They have a busy summer ahead of them preparing to make these dreams come true.

Shouran and Shayan Farasat have been members to the Pikesville High School varsity baseball team for their entire high school career. The positions they play are infield, catcher, and pitcher. This year, for the first time in 30 years, the Pikesville boys’ varsity baseball team won a regional championship. This success can largely be attributed to the Farasat twins.

Brendan Varhaftik (’17), another member of the boys baseball team, stated, “I love playing with Shayan and Shouran. The two of them are great players and make our team so much better, both record wise and individually. They bring a great attitude and passion for the sport, and I truly believe that they can play at a high D1 level if they want to.”

Photo courtesy of evaluatingbaseballsmanagers.com

Shayan and Shouran both play on a travel baseball team called Putty Hill Panthers. This team will travel to George Washington University for the Best of the Mid Atlantic Tournament, then to Ripken Baseball Prospects Showcase, and will be individually going to the Cornell University recruit camp, as well as the Stevenson University and Johns Hopkins University camps. By playing in a variety of tournaments, the twins hope to get recognized by college coaches in order to take the next step in their baseball careers.

Playing the same sport as your sibling can be very beneficial when practicing on and off the field. The competition between the Farasats does not hurt them at all; this healthy competition has improved both of their abilities for the whole ten years that they have been playing baseball.

“It is always fun playing with my brother, especially while I am pitching because we always had a good connection while he is catching. There is always someone to support you and push me to get better,” stated Shouran Farasat (’17).

These twins do not only excel in baseball; they are twelve season athletes participating in basketball, football, and soccer. For their senior year they will be changing it up by playing on the volleyball team during the fall of 2017. They are also active in their class, as Shouran is the Member at Large in the Class of 2017. Furthermore, they are both active members in AVID and take a tremendous amount of Advanced Placement classes.

“One thing that inspires me is seeing other people from this area succeed. If they can do it, I can too,” stated Shayan Farasat (’17).

Shayan and Shouran Farasat are both very talented, smart, and motivated rising seniors who have left a mark on the class of 2017. They are the baseball stars on the varsity team, high up in class rank for the class of 2017, and share big goals for the future.