Pikesville Girls’ Soccer Looking to Bounce Back

Dennis Nazarov, Assistant Sports Editor

The girls’ soccer team is looking forward to a new season. This season welcomes a new coach and a handful of new players to the varsity team. Coach Aaron takes over as the new varsity coach after previously being the junior varsity coach.

“Coach Aaron has a different approach than the coaches from previous years. He uses strategies from the US Women’s National Soccer Team and puts a strong emphasis on conditioning,” says Katarina Chirgott (’18). “He wants the parents to be more involved and make it a more fun experience for the players.”

Coach also brings a different mentality to the team this year. He wants the season to be fun as well as a learning experience for the players.

“He is very motivated at practices, always brings up new ideas, and makes practice a fun environment for us” says Breanna Gary (’18).

Along with Coach Aaron arrives a lot of new players. Most of the new players have never played before. A tough schedule also adds to the challenges the team is facing this year. The new players’ are vital to the team’s success this year as the team lost a lot of crucial seniors from the year before.

“We lost many seniors who contributed a lot to the team last year. I think the new players have what it takes to step up and fill those key roles,” says Katarina Chirgott (’18).

Improving the skills of the new players is key to their success, but the girl’s soccer team also wants to change the mentality of girls’ soccer at Pikesville High School. They want to restore panther pride for the girls’ soccer team at the school and improve their play as a team on the field.

“My goal for this season is for us to improve our team chemistry and communication on the field,” says Katarina Chirgott (’18).

The girls are also looking forward to developing their team off the field as the season progresses. They want to have more team dinners and social events so they could bond more off the field.

“I want to make new friendships and build more of a family bond with my teammates as the season goes on,” Breanna Gary (’18) said.

The girls’ most recent game was a win against a tough Lansdowne opponent. They hope this proves as a start in the right direction for the rest of the season and into playoffs. We wish them the best of luck in their season.