Athlete of the Issue: Gillian Greenberg

Dennis Nazarov, Assistant Sports Editor

The Pikesville High girls’ field hockey team had a tremendous season. They went undefeated in the regular season, winning all 11 games. After winning their first playoff game against Loch Raven with a final score of 3-0, they were eliminated with a loss to Sparrows Point in the regional semi-final game by a final score of 3-1. They had many key players from all grade levels that helped the team achieve one of the best records in Pikesville High’s history. One player that stood out was senior captain Gillian Greenberg. Greenberg led the team in assists and made the First All-County Team. Whenever the team needed inspiration in their play or a goal, she was the one everyone looked to.

“Gillian is one of the best field hockey players I have seen at the high school level. Her resiliency and hustle on each and every play was very fun to watch,” Ms. Bush commented.

However, it is not only her talent that made her such a special player. Coach Bush was very pleased with her dedication.

“Gillian set a good example for the team, especially the younger players. She always led the team in runs and came to every practice motivated to get the team better. Her presence at practices made the team closer,” Ms. Bush said.

Greenberg has been a captain on the varsity level for two years. Her experience in playing field hockey at the high school level helped the team as she was able to give advice to the younger players on how to increase their level of play. Last year, Greenberg led the team in goals. This year she was the assists leader.

“She cared for the other players a lot. She always looked to pass to them during games. She put them above herself and wanted them to feel the thrill of scoring a goal on varsity,” Ms. Bush added.

Greenberg’s reputation as a hard-working, caring, and motivated player was what earned her the spot of one of the captains on the team.

“She was a big leader for us this year. Honestly, I felt like she was one of my assistant coaches. She helped me out in so many ways by motivating the team and inspiring the younger players. They looked up to her as a role model,” Ms. Bush added.

Greenberg’s high school field hockey career came to an end with the playoff loss to Sparrows Point. Her impact has left a mark on Pikesville field hockey forever.

“I’m going to miss her. Her combination of talent, leadership, and determination will be hard to replace going forward,” Ms. Bush concluded.