Mrs. Haroth: A True Inspiration

Samantha Datnoff, News Editor

Pikesville is home to many wonderful teachers who inspire their students every day. While the primary objective of teachers is to explain course material and prepare their students for finals, another vital job they hold is understanding the personalities of their students. Over the course of a year, teachers slowly begin to comprehend the various qualities of their students and guide them toward success. However, students generally do not get to learn their teachers` true personalities within the classroom. One teacher who proves herself to be a woman of true authenticity is English Department Chair, Mrs. Haroth.

Mrs. Haroth is new to the grounds of Pikesville High and begins to make her mark on our grateful school. Her father, who was a school principal, along with a few remarkable teachers inspired the new English Department Chair to pursue a career in education. The motivating teacher who attended St. Mary’s College of Maryland and Towson University, currently teaches AP Seminar, AP Capstone, and English 10 at Pikesville, and she has already made quite an impression on her students.

Hannah Jennarine (’18), a student of one of her AP Seminar classes, says, “She’s such an amiable person… I feel as if I can talk to her about anything.”

While Mrs. Haroth is new to Pikesville, she is not new to teaching. Mrs. Haroth previously taught English 10 and 12, AP Literature, and Dance at Dundalk High School. When asked to recall her first experiences as a new teacher, she responded “I worked hard to realize that sometimes you have to push students beyond their comfort zones… to help students realize their own talents.” Haroth`s admiration of her students fuels her dedication for helping them reach their full potential.

She states, “I admire my students’ abilities to help one another and to accept one another for who they are.” Mrs. Haroth`s enthusiasm for education is exactly what Pikesville needs to continue a successful year.

Even outside of the workplace, Mrs. Haroth demonstrates her bustling schedule, as she maintains a very active lifestyle filled with a variety of activities. Her hobbies range from reading a good novel and doing yoga, to cooking, dancing, and paddle boarding. A few of her favorite authors include Betty Smith, Charlotte Bronte, and John Steinbeck. An avid reader, Mrs. Haroth confided that her favorite novel is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. She also revealed some of her favorite memories, which consisted of her rising early on summer mornings and beginning each day with paddle boarding as she observed nature come to life around her.

Mrs. Haroth has presented herself to be a truly successful and dynamic individual. Everyone in Pikesville High, including students, staff, and teachers can learn many valuable lessons from her. If you ever notice Mrs. Haroth in the hallways, or in room 131, do not be afraid to commend her for all of the exemplary work she does for us here at Pikesville High.