Scholar of the Issue: Daniel Zafman

Dennis Nazarov, Assistant Sports Editor

For many high school students, the most difficult part is balancing their time. They struggle with time management between different commitments such as school, work, sports, and clubs. However, this isn’t an issue for Daniel Zafman, a current junior at Pikesville High School, who has a high GPA while playing multiple sports for the school.

“When I get home from school, I plan out what I am going to do. Sometimes, I make a list of everything I need to accomplish. This helps me stay organized and spend an appropriate amount of time on each subject,” Zafman (’18) said.

Zafman’s organization skills have translated into excellent grades. He currently has a weighted GPA of 4.0. He is also heavily involved in many clubs and sports within the school.

“This year, I am in National Honor Society, Finance club, and Robotics club. I also play soccer and tennis for our school,” Zafman (’18) said.

Zafman is not only heavily involved in school activities but also is actively preparing for his future. He wants to pursue the engineering major in college and be a computer engineer. He dedicates a lot of effort at home towards programming and getting a feel of what it is like to be a computer engineer.

“Programming at home has really helped me learn a lot about computer engineering. It has reassured me that computer engineering is definitely what I want to pursue in my future,” Zafman (’18) shared.

In addition, he had a wonderful opportunity to go even a step further over the summer. He was able to get an internship at Johns Hopkins University as a programmer.

“At Johns Hopkins, I programmed information for clinical patients. It exposed me to real world applications of computer engineering. I learned so much more information about programming and am grateful that I got this opportunity,” Zafman (’18) added.

Zafman has quite a few goals for this year, including ending with a weighted GPA score of 4.0 and getting another internship as a programmer over the summer. He also has a big goal to have a winning record and win counties in tennis for the school.

“I have played tennis since I was 7 years old. I currently train at Baltimore Fitness and Tennis where I take group lessons as well as private lessons. I hope to translate my improvement into my play this year in high school tennis,” Zafman (’18) said.

Zafman plans to continue his excellence in school and sports through his senior year at Pikesville as well as into college.