Pikesville High School Presents: The Wiz

Photo Courtesy of Jamie Van Wyk

Photo Courtesy of Jamie Van Wyk

Kayla Ain, Assistant Double Truck Editor

On March 23- 26 Pikesville High School will perform a musical called “The Wiz”. This year, Jamie Van Wyk (’17) is performing in the Pikesville High School Production and explains that she is nervous but excited to be participating in the musical this year. Jamie is passionate about participating in the musical this year and explains she desires to take a chance and put on an entertaining show. This is a huge time commitment and requires students who are dedicated to participate. Having rehearsals can be very draining and take a large time commitment. These students are expected to put their effort and time into the play while keeping up with her grades. Though the play process is not for everyone, Jamie took on this endeavor due to her love of theatre. Jamie Van Wyk expands on her experience with the play thus far.

Jamie expresses her love for the theatre by being an active member in the school’s drama department. She has participated in three plays of Pikesville’s productions and is immensely excited to be a part of “The Wiz” as the lead, Dorothy. “When I was in middle school, my teacher did not put me in anything so being the lead in this production is a very big confidence builder,” she said. Her favorite part about “The Wiz” is that it is an African American remake of the Wizard of Oz. She has always wanted to have a role in “The Wiz” and being the lead to her is a huge honor. She is eagerly awaiting opening night and is ready for everyone to see the hard work the cast has put forth.

Many teachers as well are participating in the play. Multiple teachers have participated in the past. Mrs. Mitton is one of the teachers who is participating in the play this year. She will act as the Evil Witch of the West, Evilene in this production. Mrs. Mitton is very eager to have her kids play the munchkins and participate with her. She is excited to be participating in her third musical as well as having her own song in the show which she has never performed previously.

Everyone is eagerly awaiting the play and ready to see their hard work come to life. They have been practicing every day after school and will be able to see their production come to life on March 23-26th.